I love to cook seasonally, and right now it’s fall in Canada, which means apples everywhere! I grabbed a couple bags and sated my craving for a sweet treat with this delicious mix of Gala and Granny Smith apples. This also makes a perfect Thanksgiving dessert. Scroll down for delicious Apple-Blueberry Crumble.
This dessert scales well – this recipe serves 4.
You will need:
- 2 large Gala apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- Approx 2 cups of blueberries, frozen is fine
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, honey or your sweetener of choice (make sure it’s able to be heated). Alternative: Use fruit juice)
- 2 cinnamon sticks, or a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon
- 1-2 drops vanilla essence
- 2 cups almond flour (aka fine/medium ground almonds)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup shredded coconut
Place all filling ingredients except sweetener and cinnamon in a pie/tart pan. Layer the blueberries on the bottom. Add about half a cup of water, and maple syrup. Toss to coat all the fruit. Do the same with cinnamon powder, or add the sticks in the bottom so they’re submerged (or they’ll burn).
Bake at 375 for about 25mins, or until the apple has softened. Remove cinnamon sticks unless you’ve grown tired of city life and yearn for the Deliverance look.
Combine egg, almond and coconut. If you find you don’t have enough moisture to make it ball up, add another egg. Or threaten it with bodily harm. Once it does start to clump up, pat it on top of the apple filling. Be messy or smoosh it down, we’re making art here! Place under the broiler on high for like 5mins. Watch it though, nuts burn pretty fast. Heh. Heh.
Serve with whipped coconut cream, or dairy cream if you’re into that.
Like this post? Pin it to your recipe boards!